Once you’ve mastered a bodice and sleeves, it’s time to build on these skills. Pattern Drafting: How to make a square neck top, the third in our pattern drafting series, teaches so much more than simply how to alter a neckline.
You’ll learn how to add length and ease to a bodice, top tips on dart rotation plus techniques for drafting gathered sleeves and adding ties to your cuffs. Put all these steps together and at the end of this Masterclass you’ll have created a top just like the one above.
We’ve used a bespoke bodice pattern block (the one you’ll learn in an Introduction to Pattern Drafting) but this class works with any woven top pattern that fits you well, such as our Whitley Top. So dive in and learn how to make your very own one of a kind top!
How to make a square neck top
- Adding length & ease
- Rotating the dart
- Altering the front bodice neckline
- Altering the back bodice length
- Changing the back bodice neckline
- Checking ease
- Checking the side seam and adding the split
- Adding volume to the sleeve
- Drafting the sleeve cuffs
- Drafting the neckline facings
- Finishing touches