We love a good pattern hack here at Sew Over It! Unlocking the power of ‘hacking’ aka altering a sewing pattern to add/remove details to change it’s style, really opens up the possibilities of what you can create.
Taught by passionate pattern hackers, Layla and Rosie, our Intro to Pattern Hacking Masterclass will equip you with the skills and the confidence to try out some pattern hacking, and level up your sewing game. Using basic pattern drafting techniques, Layla & Rosie will walk you through the early steps of pattern drafting so you can have fun creating your own garments, without the work of drafting your own pattern block – let someone else do the hard work for you!
In this Masterclass, you’ll learn how to manipulate darts, gathers, pleats, seam lines, princess seams, necklines, hems and more to create your very own bespoke patterns. Use these skills to dive in yourself, or watch some of the worked examples at the end of the class to get some practise in hacking a pattern from start to finish.
When you access the Intro to Pattern Hacking Masterclass, whether through a Stitch School subscription or a one-off purchase, you’ll get access to the Giselle Dress PDF pattern, in sizes 6-30, the perfect base for your new career as a pattern hacker!
Principles of Pattern Hacking
- Marking the key points on your pattern
- How to change/pivot darts
- Combining two different patterns
- How to add ease
- How to change a neckline
- How to add a gathered skirt
- How to add a circle skirt
- How to add/remove volume from a skirt
- How to change a dart into a princess seam
- How to change a princess seam into a dart
- How to turn a dart into a pleat/gather
- How to draft a seam line
- How to draft ruffles
- How to draft flounces
- Pattern hacking example 1: Loose, elasticated waist dress with a gathered skirt
- Pattern hacking example 2: Sleeveless princess seamed dress with an a-line skirt
- Pattern hacking example 3: Square neck dress with a button placket, petal sleeves & a circle skirt
- Pattern hacking example 4: Jumpsuit with the Ultimate Culottes
- Pattern hacking example 5: Boxy curved hem top
- Pattern hacking example 6: Giselle with balloon sleeves