Have you made a few garments, but are still looking to achieve the perfect fit for your shape and create bespoke patterns of your own? In our Introduction to Pattern Drafting course, we’ll show you how to take super accurate measurements and create a block for both a bodice and a skirt from scratch. We’ll then guide you through how to fit the blocks to your measurements and adapt the pattern into a basic fitted shift dress that hugs you in all the right places!
Who is the class for?
The Introduction to Pattern Drafting at intermediate sewers who have made a few garments before, but are keen to start adapting or creating your own patterns to achieve an even better fit. If you’ve graded patterns between sizes before but not made your own blocks from scratch, then this is also for you.
What is included?
- start to finish step-by-step video tutorials taught by Becca
- written instructions to accompany the videos
- a series of written PDF guides on taking your measurements, drafting and fitting the blocks and sewing them up into a fitted shift dress
- supplies list
What you will learn
- how to measure yourself accurately
- how to construct a bodice block from scratch
- how to construct a skirt block from scratch
- how to sew up a toile
- how to fit your skirt and bodice using the blocks
- how to pin and mark your toile
- how to transfer your markings to your block
- how to perform alterations to your blocks
- how to resolve common fitting issues
- how to alter the neckline
- how to rotate excess fabric into a dart
- how to level the waistline
- how to move a bust point
- how to adapt your pattern blocks to create a simple, fitted shift dress
Sizing & Fabric Requirements
You will need a handful of supplies, which hopefully you will already have to hand: pens, pencils, scissors, ruler (cm), tape measure (cm), a tracing wheel, large paper (Becca uses dot and cross pattern paper, but you can use plain and stick smaller sheets together), and 2.5-3m of pale coloured, medium weight woven fabric. Additional items that you may find useful, but are not compulsory: a calculator, some elastic, a seam gauge and a quilting ruler (cm).
Taking Your Measurements
Drafting the Skirt Block
Drafting the Bodice Block
Fitting the Skirt & Bodice Blocks
Creating the Fitted Shift Pattern